Dog friendly cottages, amenities, things to do and see:
There’s lots on offer for adults and children here at Riscombe Farm Holiday Cottages on your self catering Exmoor holiday …
- Pet friendly cottages: Pets are welcome in our self catering cottages. Well behaved dogs and other pets (we have had visitors bring cats, birds of prey, ferrets, hamsters …) are welcome on your self catering holiday. Most local pubs and shops are very dog friendly. We charge £2.50 per pet per night. You can bring up to 5 dogs in the larger cottages.
- We have lots of friendly animals: Ponies, sheep, lambs, goats, chickens and ducks.
- Meadows and fields – feel free to roam.
- River frontage: three of our fields run down to the River Exe. There’s a swing on a tree and a rope to swing over the river!
- Woodland, which has a lovely carpet of bluebells in May
- Games room: table football, pool and darts
- Stabling: bring your horse to explore Exmoor, which offers some of the best riding in England. See more details on the Stabling page.
- Horse hire: whilst we do not hire out horses, click this link to see details on riding stables in the Exmoor area.
- Laundry and Drying Room
- Gardens and other outside seating areas
- Fishing: you are welcome to fish on our stretch of the River Exe, but the brown trout are quite small as we are only a few miles from the river source. See more information here.
- Free, secure WiFi is available in the cottages. We have fast broadband, and the TVs are now connected to the internet so you can watch catch up TV, etc..
- Attractive village: The beautiful nearby village of Exford has two good (dog friendly) pubs, a village general store with a post office, a country stores (The Farmer’s Den) and a tea room. The village green includes an extensive range of play equipment, including a zip wire!
- Good food & drink: There are many good pubs and restaurants in the local area. Click the link to see the contact details of some of the nearest pubs to Riscombe Farm.
- Cycling: We have secure storage, so bring your own bicycles – but note that Exmoor is hilly! We also have a hard standing area with a hose where you can wash bikes down if you’ve been off road. You can also hire bicycles locally, including electric bicycles to make the hills easier. Click the link to see details of bicycle hire.
- Star gazing: Exmoor National Park was designated the first International Dark Sky Reserve in Europe – and we are in the centre of it! No light pollution. Bring binoculars or a telescope (or hire one in advance – we can provide the contact details), or just sit and look in wonder!
- Provisions on arrival: Please note that ‘The Exmoor Stores’ in the village are very happy to put together a basket of provisions for you which will be in the cottage ready for your arrival – please email Trevor & Sally Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 01643 831244. Of course, the major supermarkets will also deliver.
We actively encourage recycling of as much as possible, including waste food (which we cook slowly overnight, mix with some layers mash and feed to the hens and ducks – and get wonderful free range eggs in return!). See details of our green environmental friendly efforts at Riscombe Farm.